T -68 hours until surgery. And a DNR. The only wisdom I’ve gleaned from four decades on this planet that is valuable is:
1. Above all be kind
2. Don’t judge others (glass houses and all that stuff)
3. It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, your political party, sexual preference or your religious beliefs. If you are a mean, rotten to the core person; that’s who you are: it doesn’t define all Caucasians, all Catholics, all Breeders, or all Republicans.
4. Per #3, don’t make sweeping generalizations.
5. These are the books everyone should read before they die: The Art of War by Machiavelli, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, King James Version of the entire Bible (Old and New Testaments), Torah (including the Tanakh, the Mishnah, the Talmud, and the Midrash), Qu’ran, Bardo Thodol, and The Trial by Franz Kafka.
Note: As an avid reader and author I’d recommend reading all the greats, from Dr. Seuss to Dostoevsky, so you know what writing can change your life.
7. Travel and experience life all over the world.